Friday, October 16, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance honors the fight of breast cancer.

Last night at the 1st Mariner Arena, I saw the So You Think You Can Dance (SYTYCD) Tour perform. Your first reaction may be, "dork!" And for those of you who don't know me well yet, you're probably right about that.

However, the show was PHENOMENAL. After a day of travel to DC for George Washington's Survivorship Symposium I was all "learned out" and ready to sit and watch some fantastic dancing. I got that and more. These dancers are authentic athletes and beautiful performers.

A huge fan of the arts, with a personal history of 18 years of dance classes and performing, I had been anticipating this year's SYTYCD stop in Baltimore greatly.

Insert incredibly embarassing dance recital photo...



Could you find me?

And here are the REAL dancers...




The SYTYCD dancers performed favorite dances from the season along with comic dialogues. Most notable and relevant for this month (Breast Cancer Awareness Month), two dancers performed a piece choreographed by Tyce Diorio. The piece was a tribute to one of his dear friends fighting breast cancer. Melissa and Ade dance to "This Woman's Work". The dance was prefaced with a clip of Tyce explaining his connection to the fight. He talked about wanting to give his friend hope, and something to fight for.

He certainly succeeded. Please take 2 minutes of your time to watch this gorgeous and incredibly moving tribute:



(This is video from the season 5 TV show and not my own personal video. I was so excited when the dancers came on stage my digital camera video is too shaky to make you suffer through!)

Sarah Wainio
Volunteer Maryland Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook's Blog Network!

Supporters of UCF