Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Note From an Incredible TEAM FIGHTER!

On Saturday, September 5th, 2009, Joel Wonicker-Cook set out at 4:00 a.m. to celebrate his 40th birthday. 4 a.m. is a little early for a party - but that is because Joel's party consisted of a 40 mile run! He ran 40 miles in 8 hours and 24 minutes through Palm Harbor, Florida in support of the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults and the Kids Wish Network.

The following is a note we received from Joel after his extraordinary accomplishment:


Hi,


Thank you.


I want to say thanks to you and all my supporters for your help with the 40/40 Run and our charities, Kids Wish Network and The Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults.


We had an absolutely great day Saturday, beginning at 4:00am at Lansbrook Lakefront Park where a few hearty souls joined me on my odyssey. Kym Rivellini, who turned 40 years old herself September 4th, joined me for the entire 40 miles. Throughout the day, I had more than 25 running and riding partners and I truly wouldn’t have made it without them. As Kym and I noted to each other “I get by with a little help from my friends . . .”


The first 20 miles clicked off like a metronome, with little challenge and not much suffering. The halfway point however was playing tricks on me. At that point, I began to have some stomach discomfort and my feet began to be uncomfortable. At the lap 5 rest stop, Kym handed me a banana, and it seemed to do wonders. The last two laps were much better.


Much better doesn’t mean easy. While most of the course was shaded, the sun was brutal along a one mile stretch of East Lake Road. We had to walk that stretch. Once we reached the mile 4 marker, we knew we had it in the bag and kicked up the pace. With help and support from so many friends, I crossed the finish line in a dead sprint; Kym finished a minute back to break the tape in triumph as well.

Again, thanks for making this an unforgettable birthday event (my actual birthday is 9/9/09) and for your support of Kids Wish & Ulman. We’ve just about reached our fundraising goal; if you’d like to help us cross this finish line, please visit http://www.4040run.com/charities.html.

Thanks,

Joel

http://www.4040run/.

Run with me. Run for them.



Congratulations to Joel! Way to FIGHT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook's Blog Network!

Supporters of UCF