Wednesday, April 8, 2009

"Help One Person"


Best said by Doug Ulman and echoed in a recent blog by Laurel Wassner, “if he could just inspire or help one person in some way, then he'd be happy.” As I reflect on Young Adult Cancer Awareness week, I am trying to understand how I “fit” into the bigger picture. I thankfully have not had to personally fight this dreaded disease, but have met many amazing people in the last few months that stare cancer in the face every day and every minute. I wonder how I would fight. How I would deal with cancer?
I am truly inspired by those I have met who are fighting, each in their own way. I have made some great friendships that have truly opened my eyes as to what living really is about. When I embarked on this new journey with the Ulman Cancer Fund, I truly had no idea what I was getting into other than I knew it “felt” right and I am still not sure what that means.
We are making great progress here in these very tough economic times. We are forging ahead with a renewed strength and focus on our mission. New relationships are being built and old relationships are being strengthened. New faces have been brought on board and familiar faces have stepped up to new levels.
So, where does Brian fit in? HERE! As Doug and Laurel reminded me, if I can make one person’s life a little better, a little easier, isn’t that what it is all about? As I was sitting with a new friend yesterday, who happens to be a survivor, watching her 4 month old smiling and bouncing on her leg, I realized that I am seeing things in a new light. Thanks Sylvia! I am trying not to take for granted what I have in my life. A great family and great friends are not givens in everyone’s life. I am thankful for what I have been blessed to have and appreciate it more than ever.
As time moves on in this journey, I can’t imagine what is in store for the future, but I promise you I will do my best to help more people and have a positive impact in the community in which my daughters will grow up.
So I look to the fighters and I smile. I look at the picture above of my friend Laurel who is always smiling as she competes in events that challenge her physical ability. I want to thank them all for helping me understand where I fit in!
Be good and smile!
Brian
UCF Assistant Director

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook's Blog Network!

Supporters of UCF